Friday, May 27, 2016

Relativity!

Einstein's theories of relativity (special and general) are often cited as examples of something that's extremely complex; but there's yet another, more complicated form of 'relativity' that makes me apprehensive about attending marriages and other social functions. I always run into someone who takes pleasure in conducting interrogation sessions by linking family genealogies.

"So you are related to Girish.... That makes you cousin of my sister's niece. Right? Arre, atleast do you know that your father is related to my uncle's younger cousin? अरे, तुझी मावशी म्हणजे आमचे साडू आहेत ना त्यांची मोठी सून. ...."

When it comes to decipering relations, I am dumber than anyone else. It is only with tuition from Arti that I can differentiate between a भाची and a पुतणी and am yet to learn by-heart the chemistry between a जाऊ and नणंद. And, these relations are not symmetric. For example , if Gauri is my आत्तेबहीण then conversely I should be Gauri's आत्तेभाऊ, right ? No! I happen to be her मामेभाऊ!!

No comments: